More than half our country is afraid to seek help when they have a mental illness or just need help. The number one reason is the stigma attached to seeing a psychiatrist, psychologist or even a therapist.
I am speaking here from my own experiences and from observing the people around me. Back in time mental disorders were only of one type. The type which was, is and will always be totally wrong. “Pagal hai” he/she is mad is the only term people knew.
Sharing some psychology gyaan with you –
- There are two types of mental disorders. The first one being Neurosis which is very mild disorder in comparison to Psychosis. Psychosis is a severe mental disorder.
- Factors that cause neurosis are biological, pedagogical, psychological and socio – economical.
- While the factors that cause psychosis are genetic, biochemical (Chemicals inside our body/brain), and environmental.
- Some common neurotic disorders are obsessive compulsive disorder, panic disorder, post traumatic stress disorder, social phobia, etc.
- Some common psychotic disorders are Schizophrenia, Delusional Disorder, Paraphernalia, etc
- Googling your symptoms will never give you an answer when it comes to your mental health. Many a times you don’t even have a disorder.
- You just might be going through a difficult phase in your life and hence the symptoms.
- So, when someone has a mental disorder their illness is a result of an event they have experienced. Or else its a doing of their own body which is completely out of their control.
- Seeing a mental health practitioner is the only way to find out what you or your ones are going through.
- If you don’t know what is going on in your brain. You or your therapist won’t know how to help yourself or your loved ones.